Friday 27 December 2013

Ahadith on Treatment of Slaves

illtreatment of Slaves
Abu Ali Suwaid bin Muqarrin (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I was the seventh child of Banu Muqarrin and we had only one slave-girl. When the youngest of us once happened to slap her (on the face) the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) ordered us to set her free.

Abu Mas'ud Al-Badri (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I was beating my slave with a whip when I heard a voice behind me which said: "Abu Mas'ud! Bear in mind..." I did not recognize the voice for the intense anger I was in. Abu Mas'ud added: As he came near me, I found that he was the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) who was saying, "Abu Mas'ud! Bear in mind that Allah has more dominance upon you than you have upon your slave." Then I said: "I will never beat any slave in future."

Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The expiation for beating or slapping a slave on the face for something he has not done is to set him free."
[Muslim]

Commentary

Islam stresses on the equality and proper treatment of slaves and servants. It is a serious crime to beat one's servant or slave or subject them to maltreatment. The expiation of this sin is to set the servant or slavefree. The ahadith above have shown evidence of stern warning for those who punish their slaves and servants without reason or far more than what they deserve. One is allowed to discipline one's servants in a suitable manner in which punishment does not exceed the nature of offense committed on their part. Another important thing to note in the second hadith is the aura of awe and majesty that characterizes the personality of the Prophet (PBUH). It also shows the eagerness of the Companions to fix their ways and obey the Prophet's commands.


No comments:

Post a Comment